July 17, 2019
We have spent several days looking for a BIG POTATO… but not just ANY potato. We have been looking for the ONE AND ONLY, MR. POTATO HEAD of Rhode Island!!! Here is the story: Back in 2000, the state of Rhode Island decided that they needed to do something to boost their tourism and they thought that Mr. Potato Head should be their “travel ambassabor!” They began placing these huge 6-foot statues all over the state and had local artists decorate them in unique ways. Some say there were originally 36 statues… some say there were 45… but 19 years later there are very few of them left. Some have been stolen, some have succumbed to the elements and one was supposedly sold on Ebay for $5,000. We were able to find 6 of them while in Rhode Island. Here is a little bit about them:
1. PATRIOTIC MR. POTATO HEAD is located in Bristol, RI
2. RED HOT MR. POTATO HEAD is at the “Day-O-Lite” Company and has reflectors stuck all over him and is located in Warwick, RI
3. REGULAR JOE MR. POTATO HEAD is located at a “Dunkin Donuts” in Warren, RI. I was licking my chops in this picture because I could SMELL THE DONUTS and it made me HUNGRY! Mummy bought some donut holes and gave us a tiny little nibble because we had been so good!
4. FIREFIGHTER MR. POTATO HEAD is located at the little fire station in West Greenwich, RI.
5. SUN BAKED MS. POTATO HEAD is located at the small airport in Westerly, RI. You don’t need a ticket to see her but you will need to go inside the tiny airport and then walk out the back door to where she stands to great visitors as they get off their planes on the tarmac.
6. MR. POTATO HEAD!!! This is the original potato that started it all and he is located at the Hasbro headquarters in Pawtucket, RI.
There are 2-3 other potatoes that we were unable to get to, but I think we did PRETTY GOOD for a bunch of little doggies!!! It was a lot of fun looking for them and we saw some pretty scenery along the way. We have now left the beautiful state of Rhode Island and have settled into Massachusetts so we will see what THIS STATE has in store for us this week. ??❤️❤️??